Sunday, February 21, 2010

How I Spent Saturday Night....

.... in the ER! I fell yesterday morning at my brother's house; on the sidewalk (not on ice but because my legs gave out). Most of my weight landed on my knees and right wrist and then I got my belly. I hit my belly hard enough that it knocked the wind out of me so I kind of freaked out. After I calmed down; Paisley and I drove home. When we got home Toby took care of lunch so I could take a nap. I woke up at about 4:00 and my wrist was still killing me and I hadn't felt Ryder move so I decided to play it safe and go to the ER. Because I am pregnant they sent me to the maternity wing first to make sure the baby was ok. The first nurse couldn't find Ryder's heart but the second one find it after a little bit of hunting (she said that they were having trouble keeping him on the monitor because he was so small). We were monitored for four hours and for the most part Ryder's heart rate was in between 120 & 150 (this is where they like to see it) but it would drop below 110 when I would have a contraction. So I had to be on my left side a lot and drinking lots of water to try to stop the contractions (they chose this path over meds because the contractions were not strong). After the contractions pretty much stopped I was sent back down to the ER to get my wrist checked out.
An X-ray confirmed what I had thought, my wrist was sprained not broken. So I was finally sent home at 11:00pm with a splint and LOTS of instructions on what NOT to do. I am not on bed rest but just firmly told to rest and take it easy. I am to call my regular OB on Monday and if anything changes or happens that is on the list they gave me, I am to call the doctor and head straight to the Hospital because they don't want me to go into labor early. And to make matters worse Toby left this morning for his school in Carey, NC for the week. Talk about timing! My goal tomorrow is to bribe someone from work or one of the neighbor kids to come shovel my driveway for me so I don't take the chance of falling again.
P.S. Mother Nature, please wait to do anything else until Toby comes home. It is hard enough to drive with one arm (my left one at that) but add bad roads to the mix and I think it is an accident waiting to happen.

3 comments:

Katina said...

How scary!!! I hope everything continues to heal smoothly.

Stephanie said...

Oh my gosh! :(

I'm sorry I'm not at work today, or I'd totally come and shovel - how scary!!

Val Russell said...

Craziness! I'm glad you are okay!