Tuesday, February 2, 2010

One Sick Girl

Poor Paisley Pie is SICK!



Friday:
The sickness started out last Friday morning with a soar throat but by that afternoon she was feeling much better.

Saturday/Sunday:
But to be on the safe side we stayed home all weekend. Off and on Saturday and Sunday she would just stop playing and rest/nap (so not like her). Then Sunday night things took a turn for the worse. She started to complain that she was cold, REALLY cold. So she was dress in two layers of clothes and still couldn't get warm, then she passed on dinner (we had breakfast for dinner - her FAVORITE) and wanted to go to her room instead. When I went to check on her she was snuggled up under her covers, sleeping like a baby, and burning up! Boy did I feel like a pretty crappy mom. I took her temperature and it was 102.7 (this is high for Paisley). After her little nap I gave her Tylenol and soup (then she got sick).

Monday:
Paisley woke up around 3am with a 103.2 fever so we stayed home from work/daycare and she just laid around ALL day (again not like Paisley). She ran a fever off and on all day and wouldn't eat anything. She only drank two cups of water and only peed twice (and it was very dark yellow). By bedtime I was going a little crazy worrying about dehydration. (I went a little google crazy looking up the symptoms and I didn't want a repeat of 3 years ago where she was admitted for 2 days with an IV in her little not yet 1 year old arm) My vote was to take her to the ER to make sure she wasn't dehydrated and for my peace of mind but WE (Toby) decided to wait until the morning.

Tuesday:
When Paisley woke up just after 4:30 this morning with a fever of 103.3, crying (without tears - a sign of dehydration) because she was so hot in her pj's I was cursing Toby and ready to take her in but she didn't want to go. She told me that she just wanted some water and for me to rock her (we both fell asleep). I called the doctor this morning and they got us in at 11. By the time we got to the doctor's office Paisley still had the fever (and it was raising), she had only one glass of water so far and only peed once (dark yellow again). When the nurse came in Paisley said "Oh, I love your belly" and then rubbed it (she is pregnant and she thought that Paisley was so cute for noticing her baby belly). After looking Paisley over they tested her for N1H1, the Flu and Strep. While we were waiting for the test results to come back (they all were negative) she got sick and due to how violently she got sick she broke blood vessels in her face (around her eyes & mouth). They decided to give Paisley a shot to keep her from getting sick anymore and sent us home to try to hydrate her. Paisley had to drink 150 ml (a little over 1/2 cup) of water by 3:30 this afternoon or we would have to come back in for IV fluids. She was able to drink the water so we didn't have to go in. Our new game plan is keep her drinking at least 150 ml of water every four hours and call the doctor first thing in the morning with a report of water intake/color and fever. So, fingers crossed that we are able to hydrate her fully at home tonight and avoid the IV tomorrow.
P.S. Toby has not told me "I told you so" yet and I think that is VERY wise of him!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Poor little girl! :(

Margaret said...

Awe poor miss Paisley! I was in the ER at 1 am this morning to get IV fluids from the same stuff.

I hope she feels better soon! I'm drinking as much water as I can, so I don't have to go back.

Our Family said...

Poor Paisley! Hope she's feeling better - and try to stay healthy - it's no fun being sick prego!

Val

Katina said...

Poor baby girl! I hope she is feeling better.
That is so cute about the nurse's belly. Jonas asked one of his teachers the other day if she had a baby in her tummy but she is just a little overweight. Luckily she was able to laugh about it.