Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Meaning of Success

While I was still working (outside the home) and struggling with what would be best for me and my family a friend sent me this email.

"To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children...to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one's self; to leave the world a bit better...to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived...this is to have succeeded!"  -Ralph Waldo Emerson

This was a different definition of success than any I had ever heard before and I liked!  It made me rethink what I was doing and changes I could make to achive this kind of success.  

2 comments:

starnes family said...

I bought a plaque for my sister with this exact quote.....one of her favorites......makes me smile to know it touched your heart, too.

Stephanie said...

I love this! So true.