Monday, September 12, 2011

Summer Food

I made a goal to cook more this year and when I made this goal I didn't just want it to be about me learning to cooking but more about me stepping outside of my comfort zone and trying new things.  With me being home this summer I have felt more comfortable in the kitchen. 

With me spending more time in the kitchen I have learned a few things:
  • One of my problems in the kitchen is overly multitasking (often times ending with something getting burnt - like cardboard pizza so crispy that even the dogs wouldn't touch it - oops!)
  • I now know the difference between a GOOD knife and a regular knife (a good knife feeling like you are cutting butter)
  • Spice is not as scary as I though
  • Neither is grilling (Paisley even said my steak was better than Toby's steak!)
  • Not everything needs to be 'made from scratch'
  • Fresh is better
  • It is WAY too hot to cook indoors in the summer (plan better next year)

Here are a few pictures/recipes of the yumminess I tackled this summer:

Mediterranean Chicken Wrap
 Recipe: 1) Marinate chicken in Italian dressing and grill. 2) Spread Sabra's Roasted Garlic Hummus on wrap, then add lettuce, tomato and chicken. 3) Roll the wrap and enjoy! 
Taste Tester: This momma approves!  Paisley tried the wrap and did NOT like it!  The garlic was too spicy for her.
 Ryder also tried it and needed a drink of water but went back for more (cheese that is).

The Green Smoothie
 
 Recipe: Blend 2 cups water, 2 handfuls spinach leaves and 2 cups of your favorite fruit (my fruit of choice is strawberry and banana).
Taste Tester: Approved by all and one of the only ways Ryder is eating his veggies right now!

Strawberry Stuffed French Toast
 Recipe: I can't find it right now but it was on the bag of frozen strawberries.
Taste Tester: Liked by NONE.  I think this was a little rich for our blood.  Looks like it is back to regular french toast for us!

No Bake S'more Cookies
Recipe: I can't find this one either but I think it was in the summer issue of Parent's Magazine (but I'm not sure).  
Taste Tester:  Both Paisley and Toby gobbled these up and gave them good reviews but it was WAY to sweet and rich for me.  (And yes, Paisley is wearing flannel footed pj's in July.  She is crazy like that!)

Strawberry Spinach Salad
 Recipe: Layer spinach leaves, sliced strawberries and sliced almonds, topped with raspberry vinegar. 
Taste Tester: Me and believe it or not I really liked it!

Stephanie's Holy Turkey Boobs, Ranch Roasted Red Potatoes and Raw Veggies  
Recipe: Holy Turkey Boobs - Marinate 5lbs. of boneless turkey breast, 1/2qt. of 7-Up, 1c. soy sauce, 1c. oil, 1/2Tbsp. horseradish and 3/8tsp. garlic powder for several hours. Then grill. 
Taste Testers: Everyone.  We didn't have leftovers so I guess it was a success. 


Thank you Randy and Donna for being on call for my cooking questions.  I'm sure there will be more question and at least I have moved past asking about how to hard boil an egg so I think I am improving!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah for green smoothies...my favorite it still peach and pineapple (real peaches, not canned or the bag of frozen)& the strawberry salad looks yummy!