Sunday, October 9, 2011

Crafts Completed

No, I have not been on vacation or slipping back into my old non-blogging ways.  It has just taken me a week to finish this one (very long) post.  I wanted to take time to share all the fun crafts I have done in the last four months.  Now, looking back over the week it might have been better/faster to just post a few a day but I didn't think of that until Friday and then it was too late because I was committed to this super long post (with lots of pictures & "How To's") to just stop.  So grab a snack and get comfy because this is going to take a while. 
Baby Wipe Case
I made this for a friend a while back and didn't take pictures of the process (only the finished product) but this is the tutorial I followed. 

Paisley's Desk Chair
I found this desk chair at a garage sale this past summer but didn't want to pay $5 for it (I know I am super cheap) so I went about my day a little sad wishing I had gotten it.  Then about dinner time I noticed it out by the curb!  Five dollar chair for FREE um, yes please! 
So with a little bit of love (and supplies we had on hand) Toby and I brought this old chair back to life.  Not bad for a free chair! 

Butterfly Headbands
These headband were made possible thanks to another Dollar Tree find.  While making my bi-weekly stop at the Dollar Tree I found a few different butterflies so I grabbed as many as I could and raced home to start working on them.  These were attached to flowers so I first took them off the flowers by cutting off the back that held them on.     
Then I added a dot of hot glue to the headband (also from Dollar Tree).
Then I added the butterfly at an angle. 
I also criss crossed ribbon to the back of the butterfly/headband for added support. 
The finial touch was a little bit of glitter to the darkest parts (the middle and edges). 
Find a cute little one to enjoy! 
Another version, with a different kind of butterfly using the same steps as above only my cute little model was in bed so I played dress up in the newest headband. 

Nightgown
I purged my t-shirts and Miss Paisley Pie scored some new nightgowns.  I used one of her nightgowns for my pattern and cut/sewed along the sides and arms giving my old shirt the right fit for her.   
She was so happy to have new nightgowns that she modeled them all for me. 

Personalized Bag
At enrollment Paisley was given a cute little bag full of goodies for school.  Me having a little more free time on my hands (during Ryder's nap time) I decided to add a little 'Something' to the bag to make it feel a little more like it was something special just for Paisley.  I got the P sized just right (in a word document), then Paisley picked out the fabric and I added the heat backing.    
Now anytime we head to KC Paisley will grab this bag and fill it with whatever she wants to play with on that trip.  It has made the car trips a little more fun for her. 

Swim Bag
After swim lessons this summer I realized that we need a different kind of bag to hold Paisley's wet stuff.  So as the beach towels went on clearance I grabbed some for $2 at Walmart and went to town making a bag that could join the wet stuff in the wash.  
First I folded the towel right-side (pattern side) together in half and cut across the middle (this will make two different bags). Then I took one half and folded it long way (right-side together) and sewed across bottom (cut end) and the side (across from the long fold).  
  I did a straight stitch and a zigzag on top of the straight stitch for added support.   
Then I measured how wide I wanted the straps.  I didn't like how thin they looked (first set of lines on the outside) so I added a little more space (second set of lines on the inside).  Then I needed a round shape to connect the lines so I used a small plate.  Then cut along the middle lines.    
Then I sewed down the straps stopping at the curve.   
Then I turned the bag right-side out and double folded the right-side (pattern side) into the bad-side (non pattern side) about 1/2 an inch for a clean seam.  Then I sewed the curve part to the straps.   
I then tucked one strap into the other and sewed them together. 
Finally, Paisley got her new pool bag.  It was too late for her to use at swim lessons but she LOVES bringing it to the pool at the YMCA.   

New Jean Skirt
New life to Paisley's old jeans.  So these bad boys not only had holes in the knees but they were also too short.  Wanting to stretch her wardrobe and my dollar I decided to make a skirt. First I started with jeans and measured where I wanted the skirt to fall and cut.   
Then I took the seam out of the legs.  This took FOREVER!!
Then I sewed one leg flap down on top of the other one (both front and back).
Then I added a double zig-zag stitch about 1/2 an inch from the bottom and right across the bottom to help stop fraying.  Then I added black fringe to the bottom (but I forgot to take a picture of that step).
And once again Paisley modeling her new gear!  Girls are so much fun!!
Close-up of the skirt.
Mom's Bag
I took my mom's old messenger bag and used it for my pattern. I used one yard of two different fabrics (a solid black I already had and this super cute pattern fabric). I cut out the four pieces I needed and sewed a 1/2 inch seam along the top (triangle part).  

Then I added a packet to each half in the opposite color.     
Then I sewed the two black pieces together (good-side together) and added the bottom.  I just kind of gathered the sides as I went as even as possible. 
Then I repeated the above steps with the print pieces.  Then I turned both sets right-side out and pined them together.  Then sewed along all seams.  If you are still with me, here is the finished product and one happy mom!

And that my friends ends this installment of craft overload.  If anyone is still reading this, I am sorry that your butt is numb.  I hope we can still be friends! 

2 comments:

Val R said...

loved reading this! you are so crafty =)

starnes family said...

Still friends!

You are seriously good, woman.

I can barely sew a button on.