After spending WAY to much time on Pinterest I decided that I need to start doing some of my pinned projects.
My first project was the rain gutter book shelf.
Let me start by saying that this is a cheap and easy project. I on the other hand had to make it much harder than it should have been due to not being prepared.
Our day started out by Ryder and I going for a drive (I had a little bit of time to kill before I had to be a work) and I decided to go to Lowe's to price everything for the rain gutter book shelves. The rain gutters were around $6 a piece, so I decided that my budget could handle this project and got two. After talking to the sales guy about my project we decided to get the end caps (around $4 a piece) and the special glue (around $9). The guy was very helpful but said he could only make one cut on each gutter. My first thought was to maybe have 6 - 3ft shelves then I realized that I would have to cut the other two at home. So I asked him to cut the 10 foot rain gutter in a 4 foot section so I would only have to make one more cut when I got home. Yes, I am lazy like that!
Well, looking back, I should have gone home and MEASURED the space before I bought the gutters but in true Sarah fashion, I just guessed and moved forward with the project. When I got home from work Ryder and I took a nap and I didn't touch the gutters two days (just keeping it real). Then Toby started asking dumb questions, like "Why do we have gutters in the garage?" so I knew it was time to finish my project. I cut another 4 feet off the gutters leaving me with 4 - 4ft shelves.
Then I took them down to Paisley's room to hang and guess what...they were too big for the space. So, let that be a lesson to you, measure FIRST because then I had to go re-cut all 4 shelves to 3ft leaving me with a lot of waisted leftovers too small for shelves. Bummer!
Finally, I was able to hang the shelves (with the help of a leveler and my pretty little assistant). I attached them to the wall with long screws about every 6 to 8in.
I then added the end caps using the special glue (I didn't sand the ends because I knew the were going to be covered).
We had to wait 24 hours before we could add our books, per the instructions on the glue. But it was worth the wait! Paisley LOVES being able to see all of her books. She even said it was like they were new again because she had forgotten about some of them.
Side Note: My 4 3ft shelves hold over 100 paper back books. All of our hard cover books are still on a shelf in Paisley's room and all of our board books are in Ryder's room.